HISTORY - Union American Methodist Episcopal
Rev. Peter Spencer, our Founder, was born in Kent County, Maryland, about 1779. He came to Wilmington, Delaware when quite young and joined Asbury M.E. Church, Third and Walnut Streets, Wilmington, Delaware.
He was of over average intelligence, and soon became a leader of his group. Forty-two of the members of Asbury M.E. Church in 1805 were black, and after repeated denials of the rites of the Church, and denied legal redress, Peter Spencer and the forty-two members withdrew, and for peace and harmony, organized and worshiped in houses, groves, etc., until 1812. Then they built a Church at Ninth and French Streets (now Ezion M.E.), with no desire of forming a new denomintion, and expected to be loyal and law-abiding Methodist Episcopal. But reserving the right to reject as their preachers those rejected by the M.E. Conference, Rev. Spencer, and his followers were told they had no other choice but to obey. Therefore, Spencer manfully refused and decided then to serve all relations with the M.E. Church. They purchased a lot and built a church a Eighth and French Streets, and there organized the first independent church of blacks, September 1813, with the following Incorprate Trustees:
Rev. Peter Spencer Scotland Hill David Smith
Jacob March Benjamin Webb John Simmons
Rev. Peter Spencer organized thirty-one churches and erected a school house to each church. He completed his work and entered into rest July 25, 1843.
The information within is found in "The book of Discipline 1998; Union American Methodist Episcopal Church"